The Department of Public Health, Faculty of Health at Aarhus University, Denmark, invites applications for one or more positions as Assistant Professor in the fields of Biostatistics, Epidemiology, General Practice, Nursing, Public Health, Sports Science and Toxicology and Occupational Medicine.
Employment will be from February 1, 2020 or as soon as possible after this date. The position(s) are fixed-term full-time positions.
The Department of Public Health
As Assistant Professor at Department of Public Health, you will be part of an ambitious and internationally recognised department, where we work together to promote public health through research into areas that can prevent, treat and alleviate disease. We are involved in broad collaboration both internally and externally. We share our knowledge with citizens, decision-makers, business and industry, practitioners and other researchers – in municipalities, in the regions and both nationally and internationally.
The Department of Public Health contributes to or is responsible for teaching in medicine, public health science, sport science and nursing. At the department you will have approx. 200 colleagues, including 90 academic staff members and a corresponding number of PhD students. We are situated at two university campuses in Aarhus and at one campus in Emdrup, Copenhagen (only nursing). You can read more about the department here and about the faculty here.
Your job responsibilities
As Assistant Professor at the Department of Public Health, your primary tasks will be research and research-based teaching. You will teach and supervise students at Bachelor’s and Master’s level, and you will contribute to the development of the department through research of high international quality. In your daily work, you will work closely with both Danish and international colleagues. The position of Assistant Professor is a career development position in which you will receive supervision and pedagogical upgrading.
Your main tasks will consist of:
- Independent research of high international quality, including publication.
- Teaching, guidance and examination of Bachelor’s and Master's degree students, as well as possibly supervision of PhD students.
- Some degree of contribution towards attracting external research funding.
You will refer to one of the department’s three Section Managers.
You have independent research-related qualifications at a high international level within Biostatistics, Epidemiology, General Practice, Nursing, Public Health or Toxicology and Occupational Medicine.
You are a clear communicator and you have experience with teaching and possibly development of courses/programs in subjects relevant for the teaching at the department. Completed pedagogical courses in supervision or similar will be a plus, as will experience with the establishment of PhD courses and external research collaborations.
You see opportunities in collaborating with the existing strong research groups at Aarhus University, and you can document synergy between own research and existent research at the Department.
As a colleague, you have good interpersonal skills, are friendly and helpful and able to contribute to a good work environment.
We expect you to be fluent in oral and written English. International applicants are expected to learn Danish, and Aarhus University arranges Danish teaching.
In order to be assessed as qualified for an Assistant Professor position, you must meet these academic criteria.
Shortlisting will be used.
Questions about the position
If you have any further questions, please contact Head of Department, Ole Bækgaard Nielsen, tel.: (+45) 6020 2674.
Your main place of work will be the university campus, Aarhus and/or campus Emdrup, Copenhagen depending on your academic background.
Terms of employment
- Appointment as an assistant professor requires academic qualifications at PhD level.
- Further information on the appointment procedure can be found in the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities.
- The appointment is in accordance with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (Akademikerne).
- Remuneration is in accordance with the above, and the Salary agreement catalogue for staff at Health.
- Further information on qualification requirements and job description can be found in the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Your application must include the following:
- Motivated application
- Curriculum Vitae
- A list of publications
- A teaching portfolio. We refer to Guideline on the use of teaching portfolios
- A maximum of five of the publications of greatest relevance to the job may be submitted
- References/recommendations can be uploaded separately in the e-recruitment system
- Template for applicant - assistant professor must be completed and uploaded under ‘Extra documents’
We refer to the faculty’s Guidelines for applicants.
The assessment committee may decide to include non-submitted material in its statement. In such cases, you will be informed and obliged to submit material, unless your application is withdrawn.
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply, regardless of their personal background.
Aarhus University offers a broad variety of services for international researchers and accompanying families, including relocation service and career counselling to expat partners. Please find more information about entering and working in Denmark here. Aarhus University also has a Junior Researcher Development Programme. You can read more about it here.
The application must be submitted via Aarhus University’s recruitment system, which can be accessed under the job advertisement on Aarhus University's website.
Aarhus University is an academically diverse and research-intensive university with a strong commitment to high-quality research and education and the development of society nationally and globally. The university offers an inspiring research and teaching environment to its 38,000 students (FTEs) and 8,000 employees, and has an annual revenues of EUR 885 million. Learn more at www.international.au.dk/